Further to our telephone conversation this morning, here are the details regarding the above noted incident as provided to me by CRD operations staff:
- A leaking valve on the leachate line was first noted on Friday, November 1, 2013 along Willis Point Road near Wallace Drive
- We had completed a temporary repair of a valve on Tuesday, November 5th, 2013 (i.e., packing valve and tightening bolts)
- We have completed the final repair of the valve on Thursday, November 7th, 2013
- The amount of leachate that leaked was estimated at approximately 10,400 litres or 10.4 cubic metres
- The property owners, municipality and regulatory authorities were contacted
- We are still working on cleaning up the area (this is why you are seeing the vacuum truck)
- Field tests by CRD staff were conducted of the surface/ground water in the area
- Samples were sent to an external lab for testing
- We expect results back by end of day Tuesday or Wednesday next week
- We have also offered to test the property owner’s groundwater wells.
I will continue to share information with you as it becomes available.
Tom Watkins, B.Sc., Manager, Environmental Resource Management, Policy & Planning
Parks & Environmental Services Department
Capital Regional District
625 Fisgard Street, Victoria, BC V8W 2S6
Another cougar sighting at 7578 Mark Lane – thanks Midori for notifying. This was on Monday night at 8:45pm. Please report sightings of cougars to the Ministry of Environment at 1-877-952-7277
There has been a second cougar sighting on Mark Lane Monday evening. Please be aware of wildlife in the area.
Susan Ryan reported seeing a cougar on Thursday night around 10:15 around 7103 Willis Point Road. Please be aware that there are cougars in the area and be mindful of children and pets.
Thanks Susan for reporting this.
There will be a second meeting of the WP Advisory Planning Commission on Sept 12th at 7pm. See notice below from Wendy Miller:
Thank you for your speedy responses. I confirm that a quorum has been confirmed and that a meeting will proceed on September 12.
Item for consideration is:
- Development Permit Application with Frontage Exemption
a) DP-11-13 – Lots 8 and 9, Sections 46A & 47A, Highland District, Plan VIP77211 (Cotter and FAMA Holdings Ltd.)
An agenda package with application information will be mailed out to members by Thursday, September 5.
There will be a public hearing on Monday September 9th at 7pm at the Community Hall to discuss By-law number 3720 which are the changes to the Official Community Plan that were discussed earlier this year.
Here’s the letter from Wendy at the CRD.
For your information, a Public Hearing will be:
Held at: Willis Point Fire Hall
Located at: 6933 Willis Point Road, Victoria, BC
On: Monday, September 9, 2013 starting at 7pm
Further information can be found under “Hot Topics” at the below link:
Back in April, the WPCA requested that a portion of the trees that were being cut down to make space for the new Fire Department Garage be put aside so that we could use them for a future project. Art Wynans came up with the excellent idea of having them made into split rails for a fence around the hall.
Last month, Art, Ken Smith, and I spent an evening splitting the logs into rails. Saturday was the day I started installing the fence. Hopefully it will be there for many years to enjoy.
Jeff Irwin, WPCA Chair