A little Christmas Cheer for our Willis Point sign.
Further to our telephone conversation this morning, here are the details regarding the above noted incident as provided to me by CRD operations staff:
- A leaking valve on the leachate line was first noted on Friday, November 1, 2013 along Willis Point Road near Wallace Drive
- We had completed a temporary repair of a valve on Tuesday, November 5th, 2013 (i.e., packing valve and tightening bolts)
- We have completed the final repair of the valve on Thursday, November 7th, 2013
- The amount of leachate that leaked was estimated at approximately 10,400 litres or 10.4 cubic metres
- The property owners, municipality and regulatory authorities were contacted
- We are still working on cleaning up the area (this is why you are seeing the vacuum truck)
- Field tests by CRD staff were conducted of the surface/ground water in the area
- Samples were sent to an external lab for testing
- We expect results back by end of day Tuesday or Wednesday next week
- We have also offered to test the property owner’s groundwater wells.
I will continue to share information with you as it becomes available.
Tom Watkins, B.Sc., Manager, Environmental Resource Management, Policy & Planning
Parks & Environmental Services Department
Capital Regional District
625 Fisgard Street, Victoria, BC V8W 2S6
Another cougar sighting at 7578 Mark Lane – thanks Midori for notifying. This was on Monday night at 8:45pm. Please report sightings of cougars to the Ministry of Environment at 1-877-952-7277
There has been a second cougar sighting on Mark Lane Monday evening. Please be aware of wildlife in the area.
Susan Ryan reported seeing a cougar on Thursday night around 10:15 around 7103 Willis Point Road. Please be aware that there are cougars in the area and be mindful of children and pets.
Thanks Susan for reporting this.
There will be a second meeting of the WP Advisory Planning Commission on Sept 12th at 7pm. See notice below from Wendy Miller:
Thank you for your speedy responses. I confirm that a quorum has been confirmed and that a meeting will proceed on September 12.
Item for consideration is:
- Development Permit Application with Frontage Exemption
a) DP-11-13 – Lots 8 and 9, Sections 46A & 47A, Highland District, Plan VIP77211 (Cotter and FAMA Holdings Ltd.)
An agenda package with application information will be mailed out to members by Thursday, September 5.
There will be a public hearing on Monday September 9th at 7pm at the Community Hall to discuss By-law number 3720 which are the changes to the Official Community Plan that were discussed earlier this year.
Here’s the letter from Wendy at the CRD.
For your information, a Public Hearing will be:
Held at: Willis Point Fire Hall
Located at: 6933 Willis Point Road, Victoria, BC
On: Monday, September 9, 2013 starting at 7pm
Further information can be found under “Hot Topics” at the below link:
Back in April, the WPCA requested that a portion of the trees that were being cut down to make space for the new Fire Department Garage be put aside so that we could use them for a future project. Art Wynans came up with the excellent idea of having them made into split rails for a fence around the hall.
Last month, Art, Ken Smith, and I spent an evening splitting the logs into rails. Saturday was the day I started installing the fence. Hopefully it will be there for many years to enjoy.
Jeff Irwin, WPCA Chair